Search This Blog

Thursday 28 February 2019

Sri Lanka: Mirissa/Weligama Spring Festival 2019

An indication of how busy Mirissa is. 
Galle to Mirissa was a whopping hour long drive. I was heading to the bus station in a small tuktuk when the driver offered to carry on to the next town for only an extra £3. I decided that this was a very good idea and got as comfy as is possibly in a bouncy tuktuk. We drove the coast road and stopped occasionally for sight seeing and a coconut before arriving in Mirissa.

Mirissa Beach
If it was ever a small quaint town, it has gone! Now all that stands in Mirissa is a huge collection of nasty and sometimes tacky bars/restaurants. They all seemed to sell Fish and Chips and Roast Beef Sandwiches. Driving through I already wasn't taken with the place. My hostel turned out to be my first 'miss' from booking.com. The pictures looked great and the reviews were all very complimentary, I suspect foul play. It was basically two rooms on the side of a hill, which to get to I had to climb a muddy and impossible to find in the dark track. Add in the demon guard chickens who attacked anyone who came close and I was not impressed, especially when I slipped up and skinned both my knees. Sadly there was no-one else there, no common area and no staff so I was completely alone.

One hugely disappointing walk later, I decided to up and shift to a place further down the coast. Weligama. I had actually stopped there on my drive up from Galle and liked the small town vibe. I booked into a small guest house and left the chickens the next morning.

Coincidentally Sri Lankan Independence day was moving day so a big beach party was just an added bonus. Weligama ended up being one of the highlights of my trip. A fantastic beach with entertainment in the form of the surfing school, and a huge seafood market complete with people cooking it as you buy it. A complete surprise!


Weligama was to be my last beach place for a while as I was heading inland. I was completely blown away by the coasts. I had no idea the beaches were as beautiful as they are. Absolutely stunning!! I was sorry to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment