Search This Blog

Sunday 9 February 2020

Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur: National Day 2019

I have heard both rave and damning reviews for KL so I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself in for. All I knew, big city with lots going on which is generally my sort of place, so I cautiously booked 3 days to give the city a chance. 
As soon as I arrived, I realized I had underestimated the scale of the city. There are 3 possible airport, I was at the smallest, furthest away domestic airport. A full hours drive to the hostel. 

I took a recommendation for an area to stay which turned out to be a very good idea. I was about a 45 minute walk through the Indian district and a very confusing shopping center to the Petronus towers. I love curries, so I loved the food options and sampled many of the local eateries. 

KL is just exploding with shopping centers, some are so huge that they have joined onto others that were separate. I got lost every single time in the massive v shaped Central shopping center, which annoyingly only connected to other buildings or sides of the road, on certain floors. Many hours were passed truly frustrated staring at google maps. Until I found the bar of course then I at least had beer whilst I was lost. 

I was lucky as the weather was a bit cloudy so it wasn't too hot as I was wandering all over the city. 

At the bottom of the Petronas towers is a massive shopping center. In which I found a breathtaking bookshop. I love bookshop! They're just not the same in China, of course i can't read most of the books but the feel is just off. I can't explain it, there's just something missing. Anyway, this one has a large coffee shop complete with sofas and the best selection I've seen outside of England! 

Add to that, the import supermarket in the basement and I was in heaven. I actually stopped in my tracks because of a cheese counter. Much to the amusement of people around me. So I stocked up on my marmite and books fill and moved on. 
Most of my time in KL I was just wandering about, occasionally stopping for something to eat or a breath of fresh air-con. I have no idea what people were complaining about. Yes, it's a big city so it's full of people and cars. Traffic is a nightmare and the buses are an absolute mystery but I loved it!  think my three days could easily have become many more and I would have still had things to find and see. 

Sadly national day is only a 7 day break so I had to head back home to keep teaching the kids.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment