Search This Blog

Sunday 19 April 2020

Wulong Part 2 December 2019

I survived the night, alone,  in the creepiest hotel in China.

The next morning,  I was dropped off at the second of the two main scenic areas by my hotel guy who then promised to take me to a "secret lookout place" only locals knew about.

The second area was still a short bus ride away but most people don't seem to bother with it, which is a shame. It wasn't as impressive as yesterday's area but that was just because there was so much there. This one was a huge cave system with a narrow walkway along the bottom of a very narrow gorge next to a river/stream.

First, I had to walk through a very long staircase through the inside of the mountain to get to a very dirty glass elevator and from there is was a paved and impossible to get lost on trail.

The weather was still cold and damp so the going was slow and slippery. Amazingly I did not fall over or down any stairs, which is unusual for me. Same as yesterday, I nearly had the place to myself. I wandered about the giant cave on my own, then along the path behind several waterfalls and through canyons.  The trail took just over an hour to walk so I was heading back for the hotel just after lunch time. Quick stop for some lunch and I was being picked up again. The guy from the hotel spent the whole weekend driving me about and seemed so happy with it. Very good customer service.

We then went to his "secret local knowledge look out." First we walked through someone's farm and battle chickens, then we walked along a weird looking river bed to a pitch black tunnel. He hands me a lamp and we head in. Apparently it was an old train line for a small quarrey but I'm not really sure. The tunnel was about 300m long and horribly creepy, but we came out the other side and the view was completely worth it. We followed the old train line alone the top of the valley for a few miles before turning around and heading back. It was very very pretty and at no point felt safe and secure.

I had another night in the scary hotel before heading back to ChongQing. All in all a vert pleasant but weird trip. Another one off the bucket list.








No comments:

Post a Comment