Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 August 2023

Escape from China, post COVID: Hoian: Summer 2023

As the title suggests, I finally made it out of China. After three years of tests, lockdowns and so many breakdowns and temper tantrums. this moment has been long awaited. Very long awaited! 



I knew I was going to have a bit of a meltdown at some point in the leaving China journey, the only questions was at what point. 


I booked a trip to Hoian Vietnam, which has long been one of my favourite places. 


Went to the airport, first time using the 'international' side of the terminal and got in line for immigration. I handed the man my passport and after a very long time of him looking at both it and I, he stamped it. I let out a little squeak of both relief and excitement and went through the gate. I know it was going to happen, I got completely overwhelmed at the huge weight lifted off me that I nearly cried in the airport. It was terrifying and so satisfying. 


So anyway, a few hours later, I land in Danang and jump in a taxi to the hotel. The same place I stayed just before getting stuck in China for extra catharsis. I know the hotel and the area so I know I love it. 


I got to my hotel and crashed for the night after a very long journey and all the emotions. 


I got up nice and early and wandered into town to see what had changed post COVID. It had been over three years after all. I found the town mostly unchanged, not unsurprisingly for an ancient town. However I did notice a bit of a change in the types of shops and restaurants. Where there used to be millions of Vietnamese restaurants of various poshness levels, many had been replaced with western or other Asian places. Makes sense, for a long time only tourists were domestic and that's what they would have wanted in the intervening years. Took me a while to figure it out though. 


Otherwise, I am very happy to report that little has changed and Hoian is still the beautiful place it has always been. I spent four days wandering about, sitting in the pool or finding small quiet little bars to just watch the world go by. Very happy, Very chilled, Very relaxed. Almost completely cured from recent events. 


No comments:

Post a Comment