Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 September 2023

Qinghai Lake and Chaka Salt Lake: Qinghai Summer 2023


My reason for finally making it to Xining (number 4 on the map) is to visit the giant Qinghai Lake and Chaka Salt Plains. Of the two, the salt lake I have been trying to get to see for as long as I can remember.






Once again, the only way to see these places is to drive, so once again I found a driver and disappeared into the distance for the day. The weather to the lake was pretty miserable and so became a very fast stop at a small area to stand on the shore as it rained. Luckily for me, the drive was impressive and the rain did ease off. 


Had the weather been a little nicer I could have taken a boat trip but honest, a lake is a lake and this was not a hugely impressive one. The drive from the hotel to the lake was about 3 hours and for the most part was a pleasant and comfortable journey. My driver was pleasant albeit an aggressive driver, but given my latest experience he was fine. All I had to do was sit back and relax and try not to use the imaginary break too much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment