Search This Blog

Friday 15 March 2024

Oslob and the sharks! Philippines Spring festival 2024

 


Now time for one of my all time bucket list items!!! Diving with whale sharks. 


Oslob on Cebu Island is one of only two places in the world where you can reliably swim with sharks. The other is in Mexico I think. 


From where I was staying it was about a 20 minute tuktuk ride to the beach area where the sharks come for their breakfast. I was lucky that I wanted to dive and not snorkel so I skipped the ling lines of people being taken out in the boats. We got suited up and after a very fast safety refresher we walked pasted everyone waiting for their boats ( a very gratifying experience) and my 40 minute dive began. We had to swim out about 40 meters and stayed in quite shallow water, less than 20 minutes at deepest. 


My dive buddy Ming took control of the camera and that left me on my own to just enjoy and float about with these 'gentle giants'. 


I was underneath a lot of people snorkeling so it was quite difficult to resist the urge to grab their feet, but I did. Just. 


We swam with 4 in total but not at the same time. I believe they have a complicated ticketing and waiting system same as the divers. 


Just amazing!!!


I smiled for about 3 days after that one. There is little more to say, just amazing!  The whole reason I came to Cebu and to the Philippines actually. Once in a lifetime and truly unbelievable. 








No comments:

Post a Comment