Search This Blog

Monday 31 August 2020

Jailbreak 4: ZhuHai Summer 2020

ZhuHai is a city right on the Macao border, which in normal non virus times, I would have loved to visit. Its one of the three cities connected by the giant record breaking over sea bridge to Hong Kong.

I was there to visit the world's largest aquarium (because I'm a child, before anyone says it) so I was staying very close to there. It ended up being the newer business district so all of the roads were wide and newly built, the pavements were thought out and the transport was convenient. I was there for about a day before I realize that there were no e-bikes. After years of living under constant threat of being caught by one of those silent death traps, not having them around was fantastic. As well as there being no e-bikes, there were millions of well maintains scan/rent bikes so what would have been a several hour walk in the heat, became a very pleasant half hour cycle.

I had heard of some weird Van Gogh exhibit that was supposed to be a living art thing. Intrigued I decided to head in that direction and see what was what. I ended up cycling along the river to a small commercial area that sold nothing but phones and antiques.

The exhibit turned out to be a selfie haven with the vague theme of Van Gogh. It was fun for about 20 minutes but that really was it. Slightly disappointed I got back on a bike and just picked a random direction and cycled off. Despite the stupid temperature and humidity, cycling was actually quite pleasant.

Although my tourist time in ZhuHai was short, I was very taken with the city. I hope to return when I can jump across to Hong Kong and Macao.


No comments:

Post a Comment