Search This Blog

Monday 31 August 2020

Jailbreak 5: Chimelong Ocean Kingdom Summer 2020


Finally, the main reason for my Southern China adventure. ChimeLong Ocean Kingdom! The world's largest aquarium.

They hold records for (in no particular order) largest acrylic panel, largest aquarium window, largest underwater viewing dome and largest single tank.

I was staying in a slightly tacky ocean themed hotel very close to the park. As the park opens at 10 I didn't get up too early, so I was still in the hotel when I hear a kid running up and down the hallway outside my room shouting "Fish, fish, FISH, fish!" I was very close to joining him.




I bought a ticket online the day before as they were limiting the numbers sold (because of the virus) and managed to avoid all of the lines and waiting. I made a beeline straight for the whale sharks as I have long been obsessed with them. I was right at the far point of the park so I got a pretty good look around on my way there.

The park is split into about a dozen different areas or zones, of which 7 or 8 were aquarium and the rest were rides and more theme park style things.

Bliss
The main viewing window was mesmerising, I stopped in my place and had to just find somewhere to sit to take it all in. In one tank, there were 5 whale sharks, a few manta rays, sharks and millions of fish. Just beautiful!

I had heard rumors that you can camp in this room but again, the virus messes everything up. Maybe next time! To one side of this huge wall of water was the entrance to the tunnel and a giant done. Standing in place and watching these huge beautiful creatures swim over your head is something very special. Feeling very much like my day was complete already, I moved onto other areas to see what


else I could find.

I spent my day wandering around very happy. I watched Beluga whales catch fish, dolphins playing with a ball, walruses fighting (albeit playfully), penguins falling over and so much more.

All in all, I spent nearly 8 hours wandering about. I loved it and would be perfectly happy to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment